Friday, February 11, 2011

Multi-Cultural Exhibition

Artist Guild of Spartanburg, SC Gallery: Multi-Cultural Exhibition

at the Chapman Cultural Center

Multi-Cultural Exhibition: Feb. 7 – Feb. 19, 2011. The reception is on Thursday Feb. 17, 6 - 8:00 pm during Artwalk.


Celebrating Multi-Culturalism within the Guild’s membership! Many Guild members from a variety of cultures here and around the world will exhibit their artwork in the Guild Gallery during this month. Visitors may be surprised at the different countries represented within the Guild's membership.


Sweet Grass Rose, 16"x12", oil on canvas


This is my submission in to the Multi-Cultural Exhibition. I entered the exhibit because I am half Dutch. Here is the artist statement for the exhibition

My father, Jacques Forbes, was born in Curacao, a Dutch island in the southern Caribbean Sea, off the Venezuelan coast. As the kid of a Dutch man I always had a real interest in the Dutch artists, Rembrant, Frans Hals and Johannes Vermeer. My mother would check out framed prints of some of these Dutch Masters from the Spartanburg County Library and hang them over the fireplace of our home. I can remember being fascinated with the way they recreated light in their paintings. Today, the play of light and dark is an important part of the paintings I create.

No comments:

Post a Comment